Thursday, August 23, 2012

Classic Popcorn

Among the many 'shifts' I've done to have a healthy lifestyle (really, due to my being pasaway, for me this is a becoming a lifetime process rather than a long term goal! Haha!), This is perhaps the most fun - popping corn the classic way!

Back in my childhood days, my sisters and I would fry corn kernels to make popcorn - as in sa kawali! simply coz microwavable popcorn wasn't so popular that time. Actually, microwave ovens aren't popular in the first place! And it was fun, it was like bringing bottomless cinema food at home!

That's what I do now :)


For me this is a good shift because, first, apart from minimizing the (actually still unproven) nega effects of microwave technology, I know what's in there, like the oil used for example. Second, it's plainly corn plus whatever oil and flavoring you're using. I think that's better than corn chips made from unknown extenders. And, though there are still some calories to it, it is very far from that of microwavable popcorns we buy. Well, as long as you don't use butter for popping!

Another thing, (I don't know if it's just in my style of cooking but...) it doesn't scorch easily!

Best of all -- yeah, forget about the calorie count -- it's cheap. 500g of kernels costs about 50-60 pesos. That's equivalent to a bazillion microwavable popcorn packs, which cost 30-50 each!
 

2 comments:

Mela said...

Haha I was going to write a post about popcorn, too! I got a machine that air-pops popcorn para mas mabilis! Just turn it on, and in around 1-2 minutes the popcorn comes pouring out :)

I drizzle a little olive oil on the popcorn to make flavorings stick. I was able to get healthy cheese powder (http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Frontier-Natural-Products-Popcorn-Seasoning-Cheddar-Spice-16-oz-453-g/30800/?p=1) so I add that. Thinking of using PB2, carob powder, & cinnamon as flavorings too but so far I haven't craved for sweet popcorn yet. If you google "popcorn flavoring recipe" or "popcorn seasoning recipe" you can find other recipes :)

Jusko karamihan sa future post ko andito na! Haha!

ledabrigino said...

@mela - haha! ok lang, blog mo pa din, take a pic of your new popcorn gadget!!! interesting, air-popped popcorn is healthier!

and congrats for finally finding cheese powder there! haha, i remember i promised u a pack (na galing lang shopwise. haha) i still owe u one. haha!

let's make [manual] popcorn on your next pinas vacation! :)